Interview With Author Kendall Karch


Today we have the pleasure of sitting down with Kendall Karch, the author of A Fool's Errand. He took a few minutes to talk about his new novel and how it

Kendall Karch was born in McAlester, Oklahoma. He grew up in the small town of Quinton, Oklahoma, where he spent his youth reading fantasy books and playing Dungeons and Dragons. While attending Quinton High School, Kendall began to write his own fantasy stories, hoping to one day contribute to the genre of books that had swept him away on so many adventures.

After receiving his diploma from Quinton High School, Kendall moved to Norman, Oklahoma, where he pursued a degree in Professional Writing. In his years at the University of Oklahoma, Kendall had the privilege of studying under Mel Odom, a well-known author in the fantasy genre.

At the University of Oklahoma, Kendall began work on his first novel, A Fool's Errand. In July 2012, after years of writing, Kendall's dream came true. A Fool's Errand became available to the world of fantasy readers. During a promotion on Amazon, A Fool's Errand reached the top of the epic fantasy list for free Kindle books. Since then, he has received many kind words from fantasy readers and plans to further contribute to the fantasy genre in the days to come.


What is it that inspires you to write?

I am an avid reader.  Books have always provided me with an escape from the stress and monotony of everyday life.  When I open a fantasy novel, I feel as if all of my problems fade away.  These stories inspire me to create new characters, place them in strange lands, and send them on their own adventures.



What is the greatest challenge of being a self-published author?

Self-published authors are on their own in terms of promoting their book.  They don’t have publishers out there putting their novels in the hands of potential readers.


What is A Fool’s Errand about?

The novel follows a young Dwarf named Mani, who along with the help of his two companions, must travel to a faraway island and obtain a rare crystal considered sacred among his people.  Having never left his homeland, the young Dwarf must face the strange world beyond his front door and battle a host of vile creatures, all the while learning to harness his newfound sorcery.

Will there be more in the series?

Mani’s tale has only just begun.  A Fool’s Errand is the first book in the trilogy.

What similarities do you share with your main character?

Mani constantly struggles with the notion that he is by nature a bad person.   He tries his hardest to do what he believes is right, but is never satisfied with the results.  I find that I, much like Mani, doubt my own good nature.

Where did you get the idea for A Fool’s Errand?  

At the University of Oklahoma, I took a few Zoology courses.  I learned about many animals that, upon being born, were forced to fend for themselves.  I remember listening to a lecture about turtles, who upon hatching, made a dash for the water, hoping to avoid being picked off by predators.  I began to imagine young Dwarves, poorly prepared for survival, making a perilous journey of their own.  I knew that only the strongest would survive, and those elite Dwarves who returned from their quest would become legends among their people.

Do you have any new books on the horizon? 

I am currently working on a collection of short stories, set in the same world as A Fool’s Errand.  These tales will mostly feature new characters, though some of characters Mani meets in A Fool’s Errand will find their way into the short stories.

How did you meet up with your illustrator?

Wil Whalen and I worked together at a fast food restaurant while we were in college.  I appreciated his talent for fantasy art, and when I completed my novel three years later, I asked him to paint my cover, knowing he would do an excellent job.

What author has influenced your writing?

I grew up reading the works of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  More recently, Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera has caught my eye.  I prefer Butcher’s fast-paced style of writing to some of the more wordy authors in the genre.

Is there a message in A Fool’s Errand that you want readers to grasp?

Mani and his companions become as brothers throughout the course of the story, and it seems that as a trio, they are unstoppable in their quest.  Stories that explore this sense of comradery have always resonated within me, because I recognize the importance of friends in my life.

Where can we find your book?

My book is available on Amazon in Kindle format and as a paperback.  Follow this link to my Amazon page.  www.kendallkarch.com

Interview With Author Kendall Karch Interview With Author Kendall Karch Reviewed by Unknown on 10:30 AM Rating: 5

No comments: