On the Invention of Words and World Building
One of the most fun things about writing fantasy is inventing words and place names. I have always loved writers who immerse you in their world with language (think of Tolkien’s use of Norse mythology and Rowling’s use of Latin). Whether the author has invented new words, or brought back old, rare words with a twist, it definitely sets up the whole feel of a fantasy world– making it more vivid and real, or strange and surreal.
I try to invent words that sound like what they are, but with a poetic touch. For a long time I kept a journal of words I just liked the sound of, and then paired them up with other words to create names for things like types of trees, flowers, potions, or places. A few of my favorite invented words were: idlerile for a stream and roughrunnel for a river, moonbloom for phosphorescence, and some fun names for trees and plants like: gingerburn, sallow trees, poppyglums, and rosedeads.
Finding a way to introduce words that have a more specific meaning (like drudge for example in place of a slave or servant) without slowing down the plot can be difficult, especially since some readers like everything explained and others are annoyed if the story is brought to a screeching halt each time a new word or a bit of history, backstory or culture is explained (all of which may link to the definition of the invented word).
Some authors do stop and explain every new bit of vocabulary and other choose to breeze right through, possibly adding a word index at the back of the book. As a writer you can pick a middle ground, but whether you realize it or not, you are likely favoring one side or the other. Sci-fi authors and deep fantasy writers tend to offer a lot of technical details and explanations, I seem to do quite the opposite. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but I think my readers aught to recognize the context in which the word is being used, and deduce the meaning. In most cases I feel like a slight misunderstanding is less vexing than a cumbersome definition, but this is a tricky line to walk.
However you choose to handle it, I feel that no matter the genre of a novel (steampunk, paranormal romance, sci-fi, etc.), taking time with your word choices, whether it be the place names, history, or the defining limits of a new realm, can give your book a literary edge and the feel of a fantasy world without extensive descriptions and cumbersome explanations. Place names are especially important because they set the mood of the destination (Within Ill-fated a few of my favorites were: the Fiercehollows, the Iron Spine, and Deadroamer. There are many more, but I best leave some surprises for those who might actually read the book). First names and surnames, are also just as important (Would Lord Voldemort be as terrifying if his name were Terry?). In real life villains are named Dennis, and dreadful, dismal towns are called Point Place, but in a world where you can create an immediate mental image with just a name– why be dull?
Besides inventing words – stealing words and digging up old words is a fantasy writer’s must! Some words are just more magical than others. Some words sound like what they are, and some can create an immediate mental image even if you’ve never heard the word before. Ugsome and sluberdugullion are two of my favorite examples. I don’t see how anyone could hear those words and not instantly understand their meaning. Sooterkins too, it just sounds like what it is – a word you would use just like darling or sweetie, probably more often used on children.
I generally choose the word that sounds the most interesting (turnkey instead of guard, dragoon instead of soldier). Sometimes I will adjust a word to fit my meaning, combine it with other words, or change how the word is used. I often use an epistemological dictionary, so I can go back and find older, richer words to replace ones that sound too modern or dull. I also steal a lot. Earth-dolven I took straight out of Lord of the Rings, no apologies. Hired knives I jacked from Game of Thrones (though I’ve heard it other places as well). My only rule on stealing is – give it a twist and make it your own; language is fluid, never stagnate and this can always be used to a writer’s advantage.
In summary – all authors are thieves and liars, ask the Troll King and only steal from the best!
Meet Evelyn Ink
Evelyn Ink is the author of the YA Fantasy Novels Ill-fated and Silver Tongue and the children’s series Sticks, Stones, and Dragon Bones.
Silver-Tongue will be available through Amazon January 10, 2014!
Connect with Evelyn Ink
Read more guest posts from your favorite artists here
Get Free Kindle Books Everywhere You Go

Get This Post & Every Free Kindle Book Sent Right to Your Amazon Kindle Device
On the Invention of Words and World Building - Guest Post from Author Evelyn Ink
Reviewed by Duh
on
11:30 AM
Rating:
Reviewed by Duh
on
11:30 AM
Rating:












No comments: