More Than A Year in Provence -
Endless Tour de France Travel
It all started with a dream. But then, don't all the best things in life? But sadly, those who don't take their dream seriously, who don't take concrete,(but regular) baby steps toward it, only have a fantasy. A wonderful feeling that exists, and will only ever exist in their minds.
Ah, but a dream - if you nourish it, if you water it regularly with more than just wishful thinking, your dream can, and will "come true."That's what happened to me with my dream of cycling the French Country backroads without a compass. With no fixed itinerary. No definite return date.
Some people work toward fulfilling their dream because they hate their current life. Not the case with me. I was(and am) a multi-artist.(film/photography/music) San Francisco was home base then. Life was good. Regular clients. Good friends. Not rich. Not poor.
But...and this was the "but" that finally kicked mine! - next to no spontaneity. I was in a rut. A wonderful,comfortable one. But a rut nonetheless. How to leave all this good stuff behind and amp my life up to the next level? What about my clients? My friends? My weekends at fog soaked B n'B's in Mendocino? My up close n' personal relationship with producers of hard to find wines in the Alexander valley?
Paul Simon had the answer: "just drop off the key lee...
and get yourself free."
So, I took his advice. Bought the best bike I could afford. And a ticket with no return date.
All I took in the way of professional equipment was my trusted 35mm Pentax spotmatic. (Yes, this was BEFORE the digital era)But the incredible warmth and hospitality of the French People inspired me..challenged me - would be more accurate - to create a film that would accurately and interestingly portray their lives.
So, a pattern developed. Return to excited states. Raise money. edit footage. Return to France. Return to excited states. etc.
After a number of years of this back n' forth, with several May to end of Septembers in France....I had a film series -
Bicycle Gourmet's Treasures of France." A lifestyle/adventure film that was, and is, an authentic slice of French Country life.
The film I set out to make. All the network programmer's loved it. But couldn't air it. Because it didn't fit in the available boxes. Not a Cooking show. Not a Travel show. Not a Wine show. So - for them, and me - a "no show."
But, though I never imagined it then, network television's
'thumbs down", morphed into a big "thumbs up" when I offered the series on the Internet. Now it directly reaches the people. Without any "taste makers" in the middle.
Naturally, my friends, after seeing the series, suggested..
well..demanded actually....that I write a book. Sharing more of my adventures as the French Cycling Gourmet.
Can't let your friends down - can ya?
I'm here now. And Life is good. Yes, I do miss tasting old vine Alexander Valley Zinfandel with the winemakers -Watching the last rays o' the day kiss the Golden Gate from the Marin headlands - coffee in North Beach - but these are the treasures of another life. I've tasted them. Now, I have other treasures. Of all varieties. All around.
Meet Christopher Strong
As the love child of a Viking Warrior and a Gypsy fortune teller, Christopher Strong was obviously destined for a life of travel and adventure. Solo sailing all 7 oceans in a self-constructed cardboard boat. Rafting the Amazon on an inner tube. Barefooting the Sahara with no water or gps. Becoming a triple agent for the CIA,KGB and MI5, World Champion Meringue dancer, and Economic Adviser to Presidents. Winning the Indy 500, Formula One and Monaco Grand Prix. Scaling Everest in a string and thongs, sustained only by an orange and two chocolate bars.
Yes, he considered all of these. But, in the end decided that a more self-less contribution to humanity would be cycling the French country back roads. Tasting the land and the people as well as the Food and Wine. And recording his adventures to share with us. That's why he's - "The Bicycle Gourmet."
Connect with Christopher Strong
More Than A Year in Provence - Guest Post from Christopher Strong
Reviewed by Duh
on
6:30 AM
Rating:
Reviewed by Duh
on
6:30 AM
Rating:










No comments: