Racing the Clock - Guest Post from Mary Twomey

Racing the Clock


So much of life is a race. It makes sense that writers would not escape the ticking clock that announces deadline after deadline. In a way, self-published authors have to adhere even more strictly to time constraints. We answer to no one, so it’s easy to put off finishing the chapter till we “feel like it”. The fact is that if you put something off once, that one time multiplies until it’s a cesspool of wasted years.

I do not assume those hours will always be there, which is why I use a loose interpretation of the Tom Bird Method as outlined in his book, “The Call of the Writer’s Craft”. Using his method, I’ve been able to publish five books in the past year, and I have a trilogy due out in September.

Penning a book in thirty days is not ideal for everyone, but for type A’s like me, it’s perfect. You start by waking up two hours before your normal start of the day and writing for two hours straight, editing and rereading as little as possible. This enables you to write primarily from your right brain, which is where you house your more creative thinking. When you end a writing session, end it in the middle of a paragraph, not at the end of a chapter. This way, when you open your computer next, you can hit the ground running.

I took a more drastic approach and wrote in two-hour periods in the morning, then in the afternoon while my children napped, and then I snuck in another at night after everyone was fast asleep. If I was stuck, the novel was so much a part of my daily routine, that I often dreamt the solution to the plot. I missed a lot of peaceful eight-hour stretches, but I was able to write a five hundred page book in thirty days.

Whatever works for you, I recommend jumping on and holding on tight. Be your own motivator and give yourself no room for excuses. Take your passions seriously, and you’ll find that more often than not, others will see that dedication and find value in your work, too.

The Silence of Lir” is book one of my fantasy fiction quadrilogy, and “Jack and Yani Love Harry Potter” is my romantic comedy novel. You can view my books online at www.maryetwomey.com, and read about my upcoming dystopian trilogy due out in September.

Meet Mary Twomey

Mary E. Twomey lives in Michigan with her husband and two adorable children. She enjoys reading, writing, vegetarian cooking and telling her children fantastic stories about wombats.

Connect with Mary Twomey

@shesleepssosoftly on Twitter

More Guest Posts from Mary Twomey


Racing the Clock - Guest Post from Mary Twomey Racing the Clock - Guest Post from Mary Twomey Reviewed by Duh on 10:30 AM Rating: 5

No comments: