Life Without Memory - Guest Post from Julie Michele Gettys

LIFE WITHOUT MEMORY


This is a brief account of the affect my research had on me when I wrote my latest novel, “Cheater”. I found the study of this affliction life altering. My protagonist suffers from retrograde amnesia following an accident that takes the life of her husband and leaves her in a coma, only to awaken with no memory.

Oh, I just forgot what I was going to write! :-)

All kidding aside, amnesia is still a fascinating subject, and I found it more so during my research. When I finished, I took that information and compared it to lost moments in my own life. We all have them. At least I hope we do.

Whenever I have what is so commonly referred to as a “senior moment,” this research flashes through my mind. I also related this condition to dementia and Alzheimer, which helped me understand my own mother who treaded this road. I understand more fully now what she was going through, particularly in the early stages of the disease when memories disappeared, then reappeared.

Whenever I forget someone’s name, I instantly think of amnesia, because it is a blank, horrible moment that leaves me feeling helpless as I grapple to remember whatever it was I was trying to say. It’s especially embarrassing when you have to introduce someone to another person you know well, but their name slips from your mind with lightning speed.  How frightening it is to think that would go on as long as the amnesia has a hold on you. You’re mentally dysfunctional. There have been times when I have driven a familiar route to a destination and upon looking around, momentarily, nothing looked right. It frightened me enough to make an appointment with my doctor for a check-up. Most of us fear diseases that run in our families. I passed the test with flying colors I might add. The doctor said, “Get out of here.” Whew.

There are various forms of amnesia and after studying all of them; I chose retrograde amnesia as it worked best for my character. There are portions of the brain that retains certain motor skills, like driving a car, seeing a Christmas tree but not actually remembering any Christmases. You play golf or ride a bicycle, or swim. They are automatic reflexes, but family, friends, pets, and other portions of your life may be totally blocked out.

Amnesia has been used in books and movies for years. Many feel it is a plot device and nothing more, however, I found it fun to explore and write about, and it presented me with many opportunities to deepen my plot. Many publishers still want amnesia stories.

We each have moments when important data slips from our minds. They say you shouldn’t fight it. Just let go of it and it will slip right back into your thoughts without a second thought. Just like when a person suffering amnesia recovers and their memory and returns to normal.

Meet Julie Michele Gettys


Early in her career, Julie Michele Gettys worked in the music industry managing a successful rock group, then decided on a more normal life by accepting the position as administrative assistant to Peter Ueburroth, president of Transportation Consultants International, and chair of the 1984 Summer Olympics. From there she went on to become the Human Resources Director at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Los Angeles, then on to Valley Medical Center in Fresno, California, where she now resides on five acres in the foothills of the Sierra and writes full time. You find all three of her books on Amazon Kindle: DellaConflicts of the Heart, and Cheater.

Connect with Julie Michele Gettys

Life Without Memory - Guest Post from Julie Michele Gettys Life Without Memory - Guest Post from Julie Michele Gettys Reviewed by Duh on 10:30 AM Rating: 5

No comments: