The Perfect Setting

I often get people asking me how I find the time and place to write some of my stuff. As I’ve got a busy day ahead at work and my night is taken up by other chores and work. Sometimes, it leads to me writing a lot less than I would like and that can get frustrating. However, I find that the best way to get some writing is to make sure that you first and foremost have a good place to write. For me, it’s my desk at home and on my desktop. Prior to using computers, I used to write everything by hand and that led to quite a few cramps and scratches on the papers where mistakes were. After I got tired of doing that, I decided that I needed an ideal work place. I needed somewhere that I could write without worrying too much about people barging in or something lying around to distract me.
The first thing to do is make sure your area is clean and your room is far from any major distractions. Keep the door closed or at least slightly ajar so any outside noises don’t come in. If necessary, put a sign outside telling not to disturb you unless it’s an emergency. There shouldn’t be anything to fool around with except for your computer and any notes you might have lying around. Try to steer away from anything would require your attention away from your writing such a video games or a brand new episode of a show. Also, you shouldn’t try to write during a time when you will have a prior commitment. If you have any important studies or work related things, take care of them before you do your writing. It has to be when you’re certain that you’ll be free and you don’t have to worry about hitting any big deadlines. Sometimes you might get the idea hitting you at a random moment. If that happens, try to write it down and save it for later. At least it will be out of your head and ready for you when you do have the time.
The second thing to make sure of is that you have as minimal noise as possible. I personally like to keep it completely save for some music. I found that it helps with the writing process and it can keep me focused. There are also times that I put an old TV show in the background to help. If you are to do that too, make sure it’s something you have seen many times in the past. It has to be something that you can pretty much quote off your head and not worry about looking up many times. As long as it keeps your mind and train of thought steady, the noise will be most helpful with what you’re doing. In some ways, I often use the music as background to my scenes. In other words, I see it in my head and pretend that this is the sound happening while the action is going on. If necessary, you can try this method as well.
And finally, the last thing you need for your perfect writing setting is to be relaxed in the mind as well. It’s true that you may have many ideas flowing in your head and you can’t help but get them all out. Sometimes, it can be a little stressful and you might feel overwhelmed. That’s why I suggest taking a little time away from writing and relaxing your brain. Find a place to stop and step away if needed. Take a minute or two to yourself so you can recharge. It’s never a good idea to keep writing while you’re burning yourself out. So calm down your mind, take a minute to unwind, and then start up again.
Now it’s not to say this is the kind of setting everyone will want. Each person has their own preference and eventually you will find yours as well. But it doesn’t hurt to have it as a starting point. Once you’ve got that perfect writing setting, you’re ready to write anything you choose.
The Perfect Setting - Guest Post From Author Carter Tachikawa
Reviewed by Unknown
on
10:30 AM
Rating:
Reviewed by Unknown
on
10:30 AM
Rating:








No comments: