Advancing the World of Books - Guest Post From Author Steve McCardell

Advancing the World of Books


Apps. Movies. YouTube. Facebook. Netflix. Just to name a few.

Today's world is loaded with pastimes and distractions to the point that books -- in the traditional sense -- face a daunting challenge in keeping up with modern forms of entertainment.

Couple this with the fact that anyone can now self-publish at little to no cost, and the sheer number of books is making it more difficult for really talented authors to get found.

But the modern world -- while turning the world of books on its head -- is also empowering both readers and authors in ways never seen before. Digital publishing, for instance, allows anyone to reach a global audience pretty much over night, and the power of buyer reviews on sites like Amazon makes it easier for people to find something they'll truly enjoy.

Still, I think with today's technology, there's far more opportunity for authors and readers to take books in a new direction. For instance, in education we know that just lecturing at people never gets the results of engaging them in a conversation, and today's social networks and forums allow authors to talk with their audience while developing their ideas. Is there a place for readers to help steer the story, as they are helping to steer many brands these days? In my new fantasy series for children (www.the7bookseries.com), I'm encouraging kids to not only contribute to the fantasy world I'm building but to even illustrate the books themselves.

How else can we make books interactive? Digital books give us plenty of possibilities. My brother develops a series called Bible Rhymes (www.BibleRhymes.com) where kids can click within the books to make things take place, and alongside the books he has related games, puzzles, coloring projects and more. Pretty much Sunday school built into a website. A number of digital books also include movies and audios (even "opt in" forms for a mailing list), quizzes, surveys, etc.

But even in printed form, authors can get creative. In my science fiction novel, Darwood & Smitty (www.darwoodandsmitty.com), I include a QR code at the end so those with smartphones can watch a video of me online. (You could do much more with that, as I plan to.) And I was even able to do something I wanted to do for years: combine writing and music. In the past, the few books I've seen that included CDs cost $25 to $35. With Darwood & Smitty, I wrote and performed a "Global Anthem" (www.globalanthem.com) that appeared in the story, and which people can watch for free online. Not only this, my long-term goal is to have this support a favorite charity (in line with the theme of the song): providing water for the people of the world.

I think there's a ton of room for authors and readers to entertain, be entertained, engage one another, and make a difference in the 21st century in a kind of developing partnership. As businesses have discovered and now authors must discover, it's no longer a one-way conversation. The world demands discussion and a coming together of minds. And as we make this happen, I expect we'll have more fun and get more done.

About the Author
Steve McCardell  has been a freelance writer since 2001. He has written books, speeches, and most forms of business marketing materials. He has a passion for learning and teaching, and loves to promote ideas through both fiction and non-fiction. Steve wants to spend his days making positive changes in the world, working with progressive people, being with his family, and writing in his favorite coffee shop.

Advancing the World of Books - Guest Post From Author Steve McCardell Advancing the World of Books - Guest Post From Author Steve McCardell Reviewed by Unknown on 10:30 AM Rating: 5

No comments: