Don't Send Me Your Story - Guest Blog From Author John Paul Allen


Don’t Send Me Your Story


     There, I said it. Immediately I’m a jerk – a published writer who doesn’t want to help the new guy. Didn’t others give me advice when I was starting off? Weren’t there people willing to read my work and offer suggestions? I’ll get to that soon enough, but first let me explain a little.
 
  Every other month, I’ve received the following email:

Hey John,

I’ve written a novel and wanted to ask if you’d take a look at it. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim, Joe, Stella, Marcy, Mark, Dee, Wanda, Scooter or dozens of other newbie writers.

     Every other month I’ve answered:

Hey Jim, Joe, Stella, Marcy, Mark, Dee, Wanda, Scooter or Whoever,

I’ll be glad to give it a read and let you know what I think.

Hope all is well,

John.

When the stories arrived I’d read them as quickly as possible. This depended on my schedule (I do have other things to do) and the story itself. Some could be difficult to get through, but I did my best and once finished I’d respond with:

     Hey Jim, Joe, Stella, Marcy, Mark, Dee, Wanda, Scooter or Whoever,

     I just finished (title) and wanted to thank you for letting me take a look at it. You’ve got something good going on, but I do have a couple of suggestions that would make your story better. Understand that this is advice I give to a lot of new writers and it is in no way a critic of your story. The thing is you’re up against a lot of new writers who will be sending their work to publishers. You want yours to be the best you can offer. You want to be better than good if possible.

1. You need to edit. I’m sure you’ve done this already, but once or twice isn’t usually enough. As my publisher constantly tells me, “Do it until you've got it right.” Let me suggest my method – print out your story, take it out to the back porch … patio … into the bedroom, somewhere quiet and read it aloud. You might be surprised how much this helps you find words that just don’t fit. When you spot something mark it with a pen and when you finish the read go back to your computer and make changes. After doing this save the document and don’t look at it again for at least a month. Yes at least – you know your story too well and need to get away from it. While waiting work on another story. When the time has passed repeat the steps over again: print, read, make corrections. This time you don’t have to wait before repeating the process again. I know ink is costly. I tend to print out at least twenty drafts before I’m happy.

2. Cut Words! This is the hardest thing for some writers to do, but it is the difference between an average writer and a good writer (or between a good and great writer). The goal is to cut about 15 percent. It can be done. It must be done. Being too wordy doesn’t sell books, but tight writing does. That’s your goal.

3. Find a reader – someone you trust to be honest. You don’t want someone who loves everything single line so explain to him/her negative comments will help make you better.

That’s it, do these things and you’ll be ahead of the pack. Also I’d like to add that the advice I’m giving you I received when I was starting out and I’m so thankful I heeded the suggestions.

Let me know how things are coming along,

John.

Now was I too rough on them? I think not, but reading the responses to my suggestions told me otherwise. Of the few who wrote back very few thanked me and several told me they felt insulted. Only one person ever thanked me and told me she would take my advice. She’s the only one (that I know) who eventually got published. The rest may or may not be writing, but I never see their stories out there (and I read a hell of a lot).

OK – truth is I’m not going to turn down helping a fellow writer, in spite of knowing the pattern will continue as shared above. Folks, I was there once – almost ten years ago. I wrote a short story for a college class, got positive reactions to it, and sent it to several writers asking if they’d read and comment. Note: I didn’t ask first. I just sent it and one writer – a multi-award winning horror writer, wrote back and commented: Have you considered expanding it into a longer piece? I did and it became my first novel. Along the way he and others have been kind to me and I’d like to continue the practice. So let me know if I can do anything for you and enjoy the journey.


John Paul Allen refers to himself as a Semi-Complete Unknown. That said, his popularity seems to be growing. "It's all material." Allen says when asked where his ideas come from. "Life is the best source, and nothing is off limits."

What He Writes: Stories without borders. John Paul Allen is known for crossing lines and warns readers, "Nothing is off limits, if it edifies a story. If you want safe, there's a lot of that being offered. I expect my readers to go beyond the content, in order to enjoy the story."

John Paul Allen is originally from Michigan, but served in the US Navy in Cuba and on board the USS Brownson, USS Wainwright, USS Frank Cable and USS Dewert. He's lived in Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Texas and now Tennessee. He lives near Nashville where he spends his time with his girlfriend enjoying being Paw Paw to one-year-old Makenzie and his new born granddaughter, Zoe.
Don't Send Me Your Story - Guest Blog From Author John Paul Allen Don't Send Me Your Story - Guest Blog From Author John Paul Allen Reviewed by Unknown on 10:30 AM Rating: 5

No comments: